RE: more tweaking

1999-11-22 07:02:49
From: era eriksson [mailto:era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi]
until you notice that your new recipe doesn't work like you intended,
and spend three days without food or drink before you realize that
this "mysterious bug" was just a case of freaking missing parens. :-)

Been there.  Done that.

The braces are not strictly necessary, in the sense that you can
certainly put the assignment outside of the braces:

Thanks for clearing that up.

 >> > Final problem (of this mail): fileperms are stuck
 >> > public (rwxr-xr-x) and I can't change them.
 >> >         UMASK = 077
 >> > has absolutely no effect.  Why would that be?

(Can you check in the log whether UMASK is set to what you think it
is, just before the action?

    LOG="me here, just a quick note: UMASK's value is $UMASK
      "

It was set right, as your experiment proved.  The problem, it turns
out, was that the sysadmin is using ACLs to override umask.  I
exchanged mail with him and he customized my preferred umask via
ACL settings in various directories, like ~/Mail, ~/.acks, ~/.plogs
(last two are procmail-specific).  I still don't like that much,
as I'd prefer to be able to use umask as desired and not resort
to a call to chmod at the shell level.  Oh, well.

I'm getting there with my rcfile.  Will have more questions, I'm sure. :)

--
Dallman Ross
U.S. Voicemail/FAX: +1 (415) 680-2388