maildirs

1999-11-23 12:31:05

   >   This version adds full support for the 'maildir' mailbox format, as
   >   introduced and popularized by the Qmail package,

Just a few things:

1)  Procmail delivers mail to maildirs using filesnames like
    _WSB,5RtO4.hostname. How is the first part derived - and why is
    it different from time.pid.hostname as described in the qmail
    documentation..?

2)  A minor annoyance - procmail still creates /var/mail/user before
    reading the procmailrc files, so even if you deliver mail in
    maildirs in the users home directories you still get a directory
    full of files which is searched on every delivery. No big deal for
    a small server, but if you have a few hundred thousand or more
    users it will render your mail server unusable, so it doesn't
    scale well.  I circumvent it by saying:

           #define MAILSPOOLDIR    "/no/such/dir/"

    but the behavior is counter-intuitive.

--