Defining comments

1999-11-26 01:02:22
Hi,

I'm trying to setup more checks for non-RFC822/1123 header fields. I'm
not sure if this is correct, so i would like to check with you...

  char         = "[-~]+"
  ctext        = "([-'*-[]-~])+"
  quoted_pair  = "(\\$char)+"
  comment      = "(\($ws($ctext|$quoted_pair)?$ws\))*"

These are the corresponding parts of the RFC:
                                                 ; (  Octal, Decimal.)
     CHAR        =  <any ASCII character>        ; (  0-177,  0.-127.)

     CR          =  <ASCII CR, carriage return>  ; (     15,      13.)

     comment     =  "(" *(ctext / quoted-pair / comment) ")"

     ctext       =  <any CHAR excluding "(",     ; => may be folded
                     ")", "\" & CR, & including
                     linear-white-space>

     quoted-pair =  "\" CHAR                     ; may quote any char

Can anyone tell me if this is ok what i have i done here?

I have at least two things i'm not sure about, except for the syntax of
the regexps.

1. I think i cannot have $comment to be complete correct because of this
   call to itself. This will cause a problem with nested "(" and ")" i
   guess. Can i escape these problems by adding those parentheses to
   both $ctext and $quoted_pair?
2. How to exclude CR from ctext? I just don't see how i chould specify
   this here.

Any idea's?

        -Rejo.

--
= Rejo Zenger  [Sister Ray Crisiscentrum]
rejo(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl