Re: Need some help procmail for some persistent UCE

1999-12-02 07:56:46
On Dec 1, 10:37pm, Stan Mocek wrote:
Subject: Need some help procmail for some persistent UCE
I'm looking for some help with a bunch of jerks at
webdevelopersjournal.com. They were apparently bought up by internet.com
recently. Some months back I signed up for a mailing list hosted by
them, and then dropped off because it wasn't what I was looking for. At
no time did I sign up for any announcements, advertising crap, etc. A
couple of months ago I began to receive a "bulletin" from them. The
first two times I clicked the "please don't send me this again" response
and it continued to come. Finally I put the following in procmail (which
someone had suggested):

:0
* ^From:.*internet.com
{
EXITCODE=67

:0:
/dev/null
}

Now what happens is that it begins a slow ever increasing bounce, first
time 6 minutes, second time 12 minutes, third time 24 minutes and it
just keeps on coming, the bounce time just doubling. So in other words,
if you bounce it, they just return the bounce to you. Looks something
like this:

From
bounce-webdevelopersjournal-text-1976721(_at_)list4(_dot_)internet(_dot_)com
Thu Dec 02 00:24:32 1999
Subject: Web Developer's Journal newsletter 12-1-99
Folder: /dev/null

Now, I understand that I could just dev/null the thing, but I'm really
irritated with this, and it's become a matter of principle. I've
complained to abuse at webdeveloperjournal.com, internet.com,
mecklermedia.com and even emailed the <ahem> chief technology officer at
webdeveloperjournal.com. I have never received a response from any of my
emails. I think that the lack of response here is what has really gotten
my goat. I'd appreciate any ideas from those more experienced with
procmail on how to overcome this if possible. If not, I guess I'll just
have to send it to dev/null and move on.

Hi,
        You can use whois at
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/ to get their domain name
registration.

 Registrant:
 webdeveloperjournal.com (WEBDEVELOPERJOURNAL-DOM)
 YnotOwnsYrBestName,111,SaleSale
 Tirana, Tirana
 AL

 Domain Name: WEBDEVELOPERJOURNAL.COM

 Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact, Billing Contact:
 ADMIN DOMAINNAMESERVICES (AD8491-ORG) ispdomreg(_at_)POBOXES(_dot_)COM
 852 7211 3040
 Fax- - 852 2761 9693

 Record last updated on 27-Aug-1999.
 Record created on 27-Aug-1999.
 Database last updated on 1-Dec-1999 15:34:19 EST.

 Domain servers in listed order:

 DNS11.REGISTER.COM 209.67.50.233
 DNS12.REGISTER.COM 209.67.50.234
        Among other things, you can see that they do not have proper contact
information, and that they apparrently registered through register.com.
        The contact is from poboxes.com, so you might want to contact them.

 Registrant:
 Myriad Corporation (POBOXES-DOM)
 700 University Drive East
 College Station, TX 77840
 US

 Domain Name: POBOXES.COM

 Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
 NetForward Admin (NA174-ORG) admin(_at_)NETFORWARD(_dot_)COM
 (409)693-8885
 Fax- (409)693-6923
 Billing Contact:
 NetForward Admin (NA174-ORG) admin(_at_)NETFORWARD(_dot_)COM
 (409)693-8885
 Fax- (409)693-6923

 Record last updated on 19-Jan-1999.
 Record created on 14-Mar-1996.
 Database last updated on 1-Dec-1999 15:34:19 EST.

 Domain servers in listed order:

 NS.MYRIAD.NET 204.57.67.2
 NS2.MYRIAD.NET 204.57.67.20

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to