Re: Internet Mail Service - bogus vacation replies

1999-12-14 00:01:13

Umm... How about

Subject: Out of Office AutoReply

:)

--Jauder (adding this to my /dev/null recipe now...)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Gary Funck wrote:

I just received one of those annoying Internet Mail Service
auto-vacation replies that have become popular, in reply
to my post to the procmail list.

The return reply looks something like this:

From: arnie(_at_)armageddon(_dot_)com
To: gary(_at_)intrepid(_dot_)Com
Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: stripping headers only from msgs in an m
    box?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:33:43 -0700

Hi,
I am out of the office, hunkered down in a de-commissioned
Minute Man silo, hoping that Y2K will roll around uneventfully.
But if there's problems, I'm prepared.  I'll return to
the office on Jan 2, 2000, or after the smoke clears.

Yours truly,  Arnie Armageddon

My question:  (this is probably a smartlist question, actually).  Is
there something the email list software can add to the relayed
message to tell IMS to leave its hands off, and not to auto-reply?
Is there something that IMS should be doing, like looking at
a Precedence: list, or Resent: header field of some sort, so that
disables its vacation reply?

And more to the point, is there anything I can look for in the
header, so my procmail recipe can ditch these bogus vacation
messages?  I think not, at least not if I want to restrict
the binning to only auto-replies to messages sent to a mailing
list.  Note how IMS did not preserve any of the original headers,
like X-loop and other such things originally inserted by the
e-mail list manager program.