Re: sendmail 8.9.3 and $HOME/.forward calling procmail

1999-12-14 03:26:12
Hello,

I tried to compile sendmail.cf using
      FEATURE(`local_procmail')
      define(`LOCAL_SHELL_PATH', `/usr/libexec/smrsh')
      FEATURE(smrsh)

add:
        MAILER(procmail)

If I remeber, one of those 2 definitionf of procmail was useless.
You have to end up with sendmail.cf having:

Mlocal,         P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=SAw5:|/@qglDFMPhsfn, S=10/30,
R=20/40,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u
Mprog,          P=/usr/local/sbin/smrsh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=10/30, R=20/40, D=$z:/,
                T=X-Unix,
                A=sh -c $u

in my relay.mc

But I found that if I use smrsh I can't call procmail from my

You have to tell smrsh that procmail and for example vacation are valid program
which it may exec. All other execution will be denied.

do it as follows:
cd /var/adm
mkdir sm.bin
cd sm.bin
ln -s /usr/local/bin/procmail .
ln -s /usr/bin/vacation .
ln -s /usr/majordomo/resend .
ln -s /usr/majordomo/tlb .
ln -s /bin/mail .

I would like my users to individually use procmail from their .forward,
but I would like to use smrsh as well. Is there any solution?

For security reasons you should install smrsh into sendmail.cf.
At least for performance and quality of procmail you should use procmail
as a Local Delivery Agent (Mlocal part). That's because procmail is fast,
reliable, handles many locking strategies, there's simply no reason why not
to do that - IMHO.

--
Martin Mokrejs - PGP 5.0i key at: finger://mail.natur.cuni.cz/mmokrejs
<mmokrejs(_at_)natur(_dot_)cuni(_dot_)cz> Faculty of Science, The Charles