Re: Procmail eating up mail

2000-01-06 18:42:17
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Jernej Zajc wrote:

jz> Hello masters of procmail,
jz>
jz> I have strange symptoms on my system:
jz>
jz> When filtering messages from  /var/mail/$LOGNAME  with the script
jz> from the end of the man page procmail(1) it works OK, but usually
jz> a message or two stay in  /var/mail/$LOGNAME.  I am not satisfied
jz> with this  behaviour,  I want all  messages  sorted in  mailboxes
jz> under $HOME/Mail/ directory so that I can set $HOME/Mail/Inbox as
jz> my   default   mailbox   in  my   mailer   and  not  care   about
jz> /var/mail/$LOGNAME.
jz>

  Have you tried setting DEFAULT in your rc file? Typically, procmail
assignes DEFAULT to ORGMAIL which is /var/spool/mail on a typical
system. You can change this by setting DEFAULT like so

  DEFAULT=/home/username/Mail/Inbox

or even

  MAILDIR=/home/username/Mail
  DEFAULT=Inbox

now when procmail has completed its run through your rc file and the
message hasn't matched any previous rules, then its deposited in $DEFAULT
before exiting and continuing with the next message.

jz> I tried to accomplish  this using the .forward mechanism and put
jz> the line
jz>
jz> "|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- || exit 75
jz> #$LOGNAME"
jz>

  Probably won't be neccessary after the above. But on some systems, it
still insists on a .forward file to process the message, yours may or may
not.

jz> in  $HOME/.forward.  I did not use the above mentioned script but
jz> only called  fetchmail  (it is  supposed  to work this way, isn't
jz> it?),  and  ended  up with no  mail  delivered  to  mailboxes  in
jz> $HOME/Mail. All messages were lost.
jz>
jz> Then I tried putting in .forward just plain
jz>
jz> | /usr/bin/procmail
jz>
jz> but it ate up my mail in the same way.  What am I doing wrong?  I
jz> run fetchmail 5.2.2., procmail 3.14, sendmail 8.9.1b+Sun/8.9.1 on
jz> Soalris 7.
jz>
jz> Thanks, Jernej
jz>

--
        S.Toms - tomas(_at_)primenet(_dot_)com - homepage is in the works
                   SuSE Linux v6.2+ - Kernel 2.2.13

President Reagan has noted that there are too many economic pundits and
forecasters and has decided on an excess prophets tax.