Re: mailstat statistics and actual number of new messages

2000-01-20 23:30:24
Jernej Zajc <jernej(_at_)4u(_dot_)net> writes:
my script for getting mail runs mailstat at the end so that I can
see what folders have new mail.  This is all pretty  nifty, but I
have found  inconsistency in this mechanism twice.  In both cases
mailstat   reported   more   messages   deliverred   to  $DEFAULT
(~/mail/Inbox)  than there actually  were.  I checked the mailbox
from  beginning  to end and I am 100%  sure I have not  missed an
unread message.

Next time it happens, look through the actual log and see what procmail
logged for the messages actually delivered to $DEFAULT.  Mailstat is
getting its count from *somewhere*, so see if you can find the log entries
that it thinks represent messages logged to $DEFAULT but aren't really.

Philip Guenther