comsat question

2000-02-22 08:00:47
I am confused on a couple of things.  First on a Solaris 2.6 box
I have a second uid 0 account called remote, running procmail v3.13.1.

Now here is the problem.  When I send and email to remote(_at_)procmailhost
it begins to process the mail, but cannot write to a file owned remote/root
(uid 0), verbose logging just says cannot write to file
or directory.  If I make the perms ( 600 root other ), it won't work, but if I
make them 660 or 666 it works.  Here is what I think, for
some reason procmail executes the process as daemon by the infomation
I am gathering from my procmail logs.

procmail: Opening "/var/tmp/mail/remote"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/tmp/mail/remote"
procmail: Unlocking "/var/tmp/mail/remote.lock"
procmail: Locking "/var/mail/daemon.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/mail/daemon"
procmail: Opening "/var/mail/daemon"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Unlocking "/var/mail/daemon.lock"

and also
procmail: Notified comsat: "daemon(_at_)2140132:/var/mail/daemon"

So it thinks it is processing mail for the daemon user, when it is really not.
 The user daemon is standard solaris daemon user
daemon:x:1:1::/:

I just can't figure out why procmail thinks that for the remote user
it needs to run as daemon.  The only thing linking them is there
group id's of 1.

Any ideas ?

-tmwilkin(_at_)mail