Re: Maildir delivery

2000-02-25 21:35:52
"Manfred Bartz" <MBartz(_at_)werple(_dot_)net(_dot_)au> writes:
"Brian Dawson" <b-dawson(_at_)tronicplanet(_dot_)de> writes:

Can somebody tell me how to make procmail default to delivery in maildir
format instead of unix mailbox?

A trailing / tells procmail its a directory.  You need a recent
version of procmail.

As of version 3.14, a trailing slash tells procmail that it's a maildir
style mailbox, not just a directory.

To be compatible with qmail type maildirs you have to tell procmail to
deliver to /path/to/my/Maildir/new/

If you're using a version of procmail that supports maildir format,
this is not true.

However, AFAIK procmail does not do atomic writing as qmail does.

As specified by the maildir description, procmail delivers the
message into the "tmp" subdirectory and then renames it into the "new"
subdirectory.  So yes, it is atomic.  While the maildir description is
lacking in other areas, it is clear about this.

How does procmail handle across NFS shares?

dunno.

Handle _what_?  It's the most robust mail handling package I've seen or
worked with for NFS.

Maildirs, if used as qmail does it, have no NFS issues.
See maildir(5) from the qmail distribution.

...and since procmail follows that part of the maildir description it is
NFS-proof for such mailboxes.

Philip Guenther