Re: Help with multiple recipients

2000-03-15 10:18:03
"Graham K. Dodd" <doddg(_at_)falk-ross(_dot_)com> writes:
      I need some help with my procmail filters, it appears that mail
is not getting delivered when there are multiple recipients in the To:
field or the Cc: field

Our Setup: Every 15 minutes during the day our mail server dials up to
the ISP to pickup mail for our domain, mail is filtered through
procmail and delivered to the users.

If the To: field has 2 delivery addresses, procmail delivers to the

You are try to route email based on the recipient addresses listed in
the header (To: and Cc: header fields).  THIS DOES NOT WORK RELIABLY.

Email messages in transit have an 'envelope' that shows who the given
message is actually being sent to, what address should receive error
messages (DSNs) generated by the given message (that is, the envelope
sender), DSN parameters, etc.  The envelope sender normally shows up in
the delivered message in the Return-Path: header field.  However, the
envelope recipients are usually not saved once a message is delivered.
In order to operate correctly, virtual domain setups *must* save the
envelope recipient information *somewhere* for use in final delivery.
Unfortunately, not all virtual domain providers understand this, and
there's no real standard on where to save the information for those that
do.

The proper thing to do is to talk to your ISP and ask where they save
this information.  If they don't, CHANGE ISPs!

Once you have information, it's probably easiest to use fetchmail in
multidrop mode to handle the actual delivery.

Philip Guenther