Global delivery with procmail

2000-03-30 02:33:06
I am trying to have procmail be the delivery agent for all
individuals in my organization. I have searched the documents
and tried configurations. I need help.
After all the reading and searching, looks like I have
gathered more information than is helpful. I found little
information on setting up a global procmail filter.

My goal is to use procmail as a delivery agent for 10,000
individuals so I can filter spam mail without interferring
with 20 people that use procmail as a filtering agent.

Please don't beat on me, the mail server has been doing a fine
job without help.

Running sendmail 893 and procmail 3.16 on a Solaris 2.6 mail
server. The mail server is also used for pop and imap clients.
The sendmail config has the 2 following procmail lines.

Mprocmail, P=pathtoprocmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=11/31, R=21/31,
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix
A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

Mlocal, P=/pathtoprocmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=10/30,
R=20/40,
A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

I have the following sample global pocmail filter.

# no $var changes (all defaults)
:o:
* ^From:(_dot_)*user(_at_)domain
/backup/junk

1. What is the advantage/disadvantage of having a procmail
delivery agent and procmail as the local delivery agent? How will
they interact/conflict with each other.

2. A users ~/.procmail file takes priority over the system
procmail file.  Can I have procmail use both? if so, how?

3. Several users get long delays in mail delivery with
procmaill as the delivery agent. Mail works fine with
the _bin mail_ agent. The home directories are writable
by the owner only. There is no .forward or .procmail file.
Any ideas on the cause of the delays?

Thanks

 - Doc -
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com