procmail unwantedly creates ``system mailbox''

2000-04-30 08:34:23

Hi,

we're using procmail 3.14 in a site wide installation for mail delivery as
sendmail's local mailer. For various reasons, the mail has to be delivered
into the users' (NFS mounted) home directories, i.e. the file $HOME/mail/inbox.
This is achieved by defining MAILSPOOLHOME to "/mail/inbox" as suggested in
config.h and works fine.
However, some users may want to change their default inbox to something else
by defining DEFAULT in their .procmailrc, which also works fine.
But then, procmail creates $HOME/mail/inbox anyway and there's no easy way to
stop it because this is done in screenmailbox() which is called before
the system wide or private .procmailrc files are even opened.

I've found an old patch from Peter Jaeckel <pj(_at_)jet(_dot_)uk> in the archive
(<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)3(_dot_)95(_dot_)970310112702(_dot_)14836A-100000(_at_)pc_pjaeck(_dot_)jet(_dot_)uk>)
 introducing an
option "-n" to prevent procmail from screening the mailbox (and thus from
creating this unwanted default directory and file), but I'm not sure that's
the right way to go. The whole code in screenmailbox() to me seems not
applicable to mailboxes inside the user's $HOME, so shouldn't it be skipped
in case MAILSPOOLHOME is defined?

If I have a regular file at $HOME/mail prohibiting the creation of $HOME/mail/
(as a directory) and $HOME/mail/inbox, screenmailbox() will return zero (via
the ``fishy'' label). Delivery is not influenced by this, but this also means
the result of calling screenmailbox() depends on strange effects.

-Peter