Re: sendmail OFF TOPIC

2000-05-04 11:02:46
On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 02:14:07PM +0100, David Lee wrote:
For sendmail 8.9-ish, based on the Melissa virus last year, I have just
cobbled together the following, to trap the "ILOVEYOU" subject line (so we
need to be careful about our own "Subject:" when discussing this!)

    HSubject: $>Check_Subject
    <... you may already have Melissa lines here ...>
    D{ILYPat}ILOVEYOU
    D{ILYMsg}This message may contain the ILOVEYOU virus.

    SCheck_Subject
    <... you may already have Melissa lines here ...>
    R$* ${ILYPat} $*      $#error $: 553 ${ILYMsg}

I make no claims that it is anywhere near optimal, but it has trapped
about 6 messages in the last 20 minutes.  (No idea how many of those were
"false positives".)  Absolutely no warranties on it: own-risk etc. ...

I realize this is sendmail and not procmail, but can you give a quick rundown
of how this works, for those of us who don't grok sendmail rulesets?
And is there a way to have this deliver the message somewhere (so it can be
archived) instead of just dropping it?

--
Andrew Edelstein                http://andrew.pure-chaos.com

Don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel. <G>
                                Cian, 17 Apr 2000