Help, fishy problem installing on Debian linux

2000-07-07 00:31:07
I am trying to install Procmail in my home directory, however I get the error message below.

I have looked in the FAQ's etc and have had no luck. as far as I can tell gcc and cc are OK.

I am trying to install it on the server I use which runs Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 I am doing it remotely using telnet from a windows PC.
This is using

make BASENAME=/ftp/toby install

with no changes to Makefile as I cannot workout what might need changing.

Please note that I am not the most proficient user of Linux and C is not my native language. Any help would be most welcome

What is crt1.o ?

thanks

Toby

Make Output:

/bin/sh ./initmake /bin/sh "/bin/sh" "/bin/rm -f" "mv -f" "ln" \
"-lm -ldir -lx -lsocket -lnet -linet -lnsl_s -lnsl_i -lnsl -lsun -lgen -lsockdn
s -ldl" \
"/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib" \
/dev/null "make" o \
"cc" "-O  " "-s  " "procmail lockfile formail mailstat" \
"procmail formail lockfile" \
"procmailrc procmailsc procmailex" "src man" \
"/usr/bin"
Whoeaaa!  There's something fishy going on here.
You have a look and see if you detect anything uncanny:
cc -O _autotst.c -o _autotst -s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
::::
cc -O _autotst.c -o _autotst -s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
::::
gcc -O _autotst.c -o _autotst -s