Re: - Procmail and mailing lists from i.e. netscape -

2000-07-10 11:15:32
Klaus Loest <klaus(_dot_)loest(_at_)loest(_dot_)de> writes:
I am not a subscriber, so please answer direct.

If I get mails with a mailing list created i.e. by netscape, the first
receipient listed in the .procmailrc will get all mails on the list.
This is probably because the script stops after it found the first
matching adress. Is there any way to get around this?

This sounds like you're routing mail based on the addresses found in the
To: and/or Cc: header fields, using recipes that look something like
this:

        :0
        * ^TO_bob(_at_)here
        ! bob-jones(_at_)else(_dot_)where

        :0
        * ^TO_carl(_at_)here
        ! carl-malamud(_at_)dead(_dot_)authors(_dot_)com

If this is indeed what you are doing, STOP IT!  Routing email based on
the header of the message is *wrong* and can result in silently lost
and/or misdirected email.  You need to do mail routing based on the
'envelope' addresses.  This is generally best (and most easily) done
using the capabilities of your MTA.  For example, sendmail has the
virtusertable for just this sort of thing.

If this isn't what you're doing, you'll need to backup and show us your
recipes so we can see what's going on.

Philip Guenther