overwriting /var/spool/mail/$USER

2000-07-16 20:29:51
I don't understand procmail's behavior with this recipe...

:0 i:mail.lock
| cat $HOME/files.mail/* > /var/spool/mail/$USER

Without the lock file I get an error (I think having to do with the linking
permissions on the target) because the mail doesn't get delivered anywhere.
 With the lock file it appends the target rather than overwriting the target.

From the shell prompt if the command is run, the target is overwritten.
From the shell prompt 'rm /var/spool/mail/$USER' gives that linking
permissions error, which means that I can't rm the target before the cat in
the procmail recipe.

Can someone explain this behavior to me?  And, how do I get this recipe to
overwrite the target (or at least empty the file before appending it)?

Thanks.

Lee Howard