authorising delivery of mail by matching sender against entry in aliases file?

2000-07-19 04:25:22
Morning, the subject line says it all basically.

I'm 'new' to procmail so it may seem a question with an obvious answer,
but having looked through
the mailing list archives, I've found the same question, but no real
answer(s)/suggestions/pointers.

What I would like to do is have procmail as the delivery agent (from
Sendmail), have a global procmailrc file.

The scenario would be:

        if the recipient of the mail is
'course-nnnnn/moudule-nnnnn/field-abc/department-abc'
        and the sender exists in /etc/mail/aliases
        then deliver the mail
        else forward to postmaster.

The course-nnnnn/moudule-nnnnn/field-abc/department-abc recipients would
be alias entries (pointing to include files).

The reason for wanting to do this is to have all our
courses/modules/departments list in our LDAP
info as a 'mail to' 'link'. _BUT_ what we do not want is for all our
students (c. 18,000) to have the ability to email all the
courses/modules etc....and restrict this 'facility' to members of staff.
Only members of staff have alaiases, so checking the sender against the
aliases file, using procmail, would seem an easy way to do
this.....rather than writing/re-writing a Sendmail ruleset
perhaps?

Any info/pointers/tips would be of help, in the mean time..I'm getting
back to the varoius procmail
FAQ's

Regards
        Simon

--
Simon Hogg, Learning Resources, Oxford Brookes University,
Headington, Oxford, OX3 0BP, UK.

Postmaster & Academic Computing Officer.

Email:   simon(_dot_)hogg(_at_)brookes(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk
Tel. :   (+44) 01865 483314
Fax. :   (+44) 01865 483073

[all opinions expressed are personal and nothing to do with Brookes]