Re: Q: Passing large messages to Formail?

2000-07-27 08:36:36
Dave Ewart wrote:

A slight oddity I noticed ...

I have a recipe which, given the correct matches, generates an
auto-reply.

The recipe looks like this:

:0 c
!(/usr/bin/formail ...

On reviewing the Procmail logfile, I noticed that from time to time, an
error message appeared (Error writing to "(/usr/bin/formail ...").  On
closer examination, I could see that this only happened when the message
that was being auto-replied to was "large" (for varying values of
"large").  However, the auto-reply was still generated and sent
correctly!  (If it was not being sent, I would have noticed this problem
before)

I realised that the auto-reply recipe doesn't need to see anything other
than the headers, so I changed the recipe to:

:0 h c
!(/usr/bin/formail ...

Change the explanation point to a pipe.  Also, if you're in a nest
"{}", the "h" won't do any good unless it's in a filter ("fhc").

My question is: Is there a limit on the size of message that Formail can
process?

As for the size . . . I've only seen questions regarding the recipe
size.  Unless someone has a different answer, all my mail doesn't have
any problem coming through at any size unless I exceed the MTA maximum
size.