Re: Optimizing recipes.

2000-07-31 14:47:59
I wrote:

    LISTS="(zoot|redhat(-announce)?|apollo|hedwig|cartman)-list"
    # Note that the leading whitespace below does *not* get ignored
    # (i think), but the way we match against the variable, it doesn't
    # matter either way.
    FOLDERS="zoot-list,ZOOT-LIST,redhat-list,REDHAT-LIST,\
             redhat-announce-list,REDHAT-ANN,apollo-list,APOLLO-LIST,\
             hedwig-list,HEDWIG-LIST,cartman-list,CARTMAN-LIST"

While re-thinking about those leading spaces, it just occurred to me
that things could get dodgy if you have a list name that is a substring
of another list name.  E.g. "redhat-list" and "hat-list" (there must
be one somewhere out there :)   If that were a possibility, some tinkering
with the regex in the LISTS variable would be needed, and perhaps also
FOLDERS might best be changed to something like:

     FOLDERS=",zoot-list,ZOOT-LIST,redhat-list,REDHAT-LIST,\
              ,redhat-announce-list,REDHAT-ANN,apollo-list,APOLLO-LIST,\
              ,hedwig-list,HEDWIG-LIST,cartman-list,CARTMAN-LIST"

with a corresponding comma added to the condition:

    * $ FOLDERS ?? ,${MATCH},\/[^,]*

This way you'd be sure you weren't matching on a substring of a list
name in the FOLDERS variable.