Bouncing 'vacation' messages.

2000-08-07 21:46:45
More and more, idiots are subscribing to mailing lists, then
going on vacation and spamming 10000 users with their stupid
vacation messages.  Of course you can't TELL THEM about it
because they are not there to listen, until they get back that
is.  While I'm sure that over a few days of this, most sane
mailing lists will unsubscribe them, it is very inconvenient for
people to deal with in the main time.

Solution in mind:  Sledgehammer procmail recipe

I'd like to create a super duper mail loop procmail recipe for
them that once I receive a vacation message, I manually plop
their email address into a data file, run a script and it spits
out a nice procmail recipe so that from now on, any mail they
send me with the special vacation message (so that only their
vacation message is trapped) gets bounced back to them,
preferably with the ability of me adding a polite message to the
top saying "YOU ARE A POTATOHEAD!  DONT SET UP VACATION WHEN YOU
ARE ON MAILING LISTS!"

Any help on creating such a filter would be greatly appreciated,
as would any other suggestions for a solution.  I'm not
interested in complaining to their ISP/employer or the mailing
list as that takes even MORE of _my_ time up.  I'd rather take
THEIR time up.

If someone has a truely useful but less draconian solution, I'm
sure I'd be willing to try that as well once my pulse comes down
a bit.  ;o)  Hitting "delete" is ok if you're on one list and get
such a message once a week.  Doing it 15 times a day is NOT
acceptable!

Any ideas?

TIA

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.