Re: Another trapping problem

2000-08-08 11:33:02

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 20:36 2000-08-07 -0700, Eric Hilding wrote:
owner-nolist-19690*me**MYDOMAIN*-COM(_at_)MAIL(_dot_)ZDLISTS(_dot_)COM

Well, uh, a snippet from your log isn't going to prove helpful.  One needs
to see it within the message/headers itself.  What parts of this have you
obscured?  Just the name of the domain, or the addition of asterisks as well?

I pulled exactly what was in the From line of the log (it is being axed by
another recipe due to message body content I believe).  If I shut off the
other recipes my in-box will be deluged with megajunk...500 or more of
these per day, but may have to do it briefly to further examine things.

 From appearances, it looks like you have the ".com", it's just translated
(hmm, "@" = "**", and "." = "*-" ?)

* ^Received:.*\*mydomain\*\-com

(assuming that the asterisks are indeed part of the original, and that this
is appearing in a received header).

Looks like you should get yourself a regex reference, perhaps the excellent
ORA _Mastering Regular Expressions_

Good idea...thanks.  But if the stuff is not within the "Received:"
portion, I'm uncertain how to deal with the "sent to" (sent-to?).

DEFAULT could be a mailbox file you want "default" messages to fall through
to, and often for testing, /dev/null is useful, since you have less to
cleanup (running a large test multiple times could eventually lead to a
large junk file).  VERBOSE=ON dumps more verbose logging information
(including details on just what regexp's match), which help you figure out
what part of your script is failing you.  Tweak the script, re-run the data
against the rcfile, repeat.

Great idea...I missed the fact that I can can turn VERBOSE on & off for
a single recipe and not my whole .procmailrc file (I tried that and it
was a nightmare).

Keep in mind that program invocations and forward rules will still execute
- so either tinker with test addresses, or remark out forwards and just do
a mailbox delivery instead.  As was demonstrated earlier, your forward to
the output of the perl script wasn't inoperative - you were suffering from
mail looping.

Yes and thank you again for all your help with that too.

Eric