Re: procmail and quota (wrong error message)

2000-08-16 23:12:32
Chris Greer <cgreer1(_at_)midsouth(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm having a little bit of trouble with procmail3.15pre
I'm using disk quotas on a Solaris 2.7 box and when I fill up
the disk space and the mail bounces I get the following message in
the response mail.

(reason: can't create (user) output file)

Now I know what this means because I caused it to happen on purpose,
but I'm used to seeing something that identifies that the
user is over the quota.  I'm assuming this is a procmail thing, but
it could just as easily be a sendmail thing.  I'm using procmail
as the local delivery agent.

I'm just trying to get a more meaningful error message.

That error message is generated by sendmail.  The problem is that
procmail can only convey to sendmail the reason for the failure via its
exitcode and the defined exitcodes are rather broad in their meanings,
such that the best fit for "over quote" is EX_CANTCREAT.  Thus
sendmail's message.

The long term fix is for procmail to act as an LMTP server for
sendmail.  It can then pass not only a full SMTP extended error code,
but also a short line of descriptive text.  The full LMTP status line
returned might thus read:

    552 5.2.2 Disk quota exceeded during delivery

The "553 5.2.2" are described/prescribed by rfc 821, 2034, and 1893
together.

HOWEVER, LMTP support in procmail is in alpha condition, and will remain
so until I have more free time or someone else looks at it, so don't
hold your breath...

Philip Guenther