Procmail & elm features

2000-08-18 00:22:20
I have been using Elm to filter incoming email on SunOS for
about a year, but have found it to be less than flexible in
fighting spam.  I've begun to write procmail filters, and I
am quite happy with the mechanisms provided.

However, Elm has a nice feature that I've come to rely on.

As it filters email a filterlog and filtersum is maintained,
such that when I use "filter -s" a "Summary of Filter Activity"
is sent to standard out, which looks something like this:

                        A Summary of Filter Activity
                        ----------------------------

A total of 2 messages were filtered:

Rule #3: (save in "/export/home/deb/Mail/Algorithms")
        applied 1 time (50%)

Rule #28: (save in "/var/mail/deb")
        applied 1 time (50%)

And when appropriate, I can clear the filter with another
command (which I've aliased),

        "filter -s -c;touch ~/.elm/{filterlog,filtersum}"

Is there a similar capability in procmail that I have not yet
come across?  Otherwise, I'd guess I'd better sharpen my tool
writing abilities and put something together...

:-)

TIA,

deb

     **** Sing to the tune of "100 bottles of beer on the wall" ****

     99 little bugs in the code,
     99 bugs in the code,
     fix one bug, compile it again,
     101 little bugs in the code.
     101 little bugs in the code,.... >   (Repeat until BUGS = 0)