Re: Procmail + Sendmail + rblcheck

2000-09-03 20:47:38
Jim Toth <jjtoth(_at_)vcu(_dot_)edu> writes:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 12:35:30PM -0400, Charles Sprickman
(spork(_at_)inch(_dot_)com) s
aid:
Hi,

Just wanted to check if anyone is currently using rblcheck with procmail
and sendmail and if so, if you are successfully able to pull the client
address via an environment variable.

I've been doing some testing and I've met with failure.  It seems procmail
eats the variable.

Correct, it does, unless you tell it not to.  Check the man page for
procmail.  I believe you want the -p option.

That won't work: to quote the procmail(1) manpage:

       -d recipient ...
            This  turns  on explicit delivery mode, delivery will
            be to the local user  recipient.   This,  of  course,
            This option is incompatible with -p.

This is done for security reasons: people should not be able to cause
your .procmailrc to be invoked, as you, with arbitrary environment
variables set.

Anyway, doesn't the client address show up in the first Received: header
field?  Extract it from there and don't bother trying to pass it in from
sendmail.

Philip Guenther