Re: How can I block this?

2000-09-23 10:53:20
At 22:13 2000-09-22 -0700, Deb Heller-Evans wrote:
Gawd I hate spam.  It triggers a viceral reaction in me.  Puts

Gawd I hate spam.  Especially when it gets forwarded via lists.
[snip - you've repented, but I wrote a response I didn't queue right away. Had half a mind to chew you out anyway for including the body.]

>From #1(_dot_)Internet(_dot_)Art(_dot_)and(_dot_)Entertainment(_dot_)Directory(_at_)showboat(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com Fri Sep 22 20:33:21 2000

[snip]

I think installing a newer version of sendmail and enabling more of the anti-relaying features would reduce these spams.

        by showboat.teradyne.com (8.8.8+Sun/8.8.8) with SMTP id XAA16874
for <deb(_at_)beaux(_dot_)atwc(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com>; Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:30:32 -0400 (EDT)

Complain to corecomm.net administrators about this email, and tell them how you're about to block *ALL* corecomm messages because of it, or if it continues. Then, if you have administrative privledges for the server, set up an access database (not "MS Access", but "sendmail access") to refuse SMTP connections from "corecomm.net".

The DUL rbl could be of use as well (dunno if this source IP would be listed there, but if it were, your server would refuse the message on the grounds that a dialup user was attempting to inject a message directly to your mailserver). The idea is that a dialup user should be using their own ISP's mailserver, not yours.

If these were FULL headers, this is notably missing the "From:" header. Absense of a FROM is a near-sure indication that you're dealing with spam, so generic rules would have bailed this message.

# From: header not even present!
# Anybody mailing and not identifying a from, MUST be spamming.
:0:
* ! ^From:.*
dump_to_your_trashfolder_or_devnull

To: International(_at_)showboat(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com,
Art(_at_)showboat(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com,
        and(_at_)showboat(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com,
Entertainment(_at_)showboat(_dot_)teradyne(_dot_)com

They addressed it as "To: International Art and Entertainment", your own SMTP servers "expanded" this to local adressees. Not directly useful for flagging it as a spam, just explaining why this field appears this way.

I Daresay any Reply-To type of header lacking an '@' could probably be flagged as junk. Except for rare cases (X.400 ?), this should be fine. Something like the following should catch this particular header - we check that the header EXISTS, then check that it DOESN'T contain an '@'. If you simply checked that the header didn't have an '@' without also confirming that the header even existed, then the fact that the header doesn't exist in most messages would cause the rule to match (on the inverted condition), and everything would get dumped.

:0:

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395