Re: recipe only when not logged in?

2000-10-18 09:59:23
Jesse asked,

| I don't know if this would specifically be a procmail question, but I was
| wondering if there was any way to activate a recipe automatically when I
| log out, and deactivate it once I log in...?

There are two basic approaches, neither of which is fool-proof.  Both are
subject to believing you're logged in when, in fact, your session hung and
your terminal froze but your login process didn't exit.

One is to run a program with each incoming message to see whether you're
logged in or not.  For example, if it's a Unix system,

 :0
 * ! ? who | grep drummer
 whatever_you_want_done_if_you_are_not_on

The other, which is likely to be less load, is to have your login routine
(your .profile or your .login) touch a file and your logout routine (a TRAP
on your login shell or your .logout) rm -f that file.  Then with each incom-
ing message procmail could check whether the file is present:

 :0
 * ! ? test -f that_file
 whatever_you_want_done_if_you_are_not_on