Re: SPAM sent to 'sub'-accounts (email1(_at_)domain)

2000-11-06 22:42:56
Michael suggested to Hermann,

| * ^TO_[0-9](_at_)rodeios\(_dot_)com

FINALLY someone has suggested a bracketed range instead of the long alter-
nation!  I could stand it no longer.  (My apologies if anyone else already
had in a post that escaped my notice.)

However, the proposed condition won't work.  The character before the digit
is usually a letter of the alphabet, and ^TO_ will not match a string that
ends in a letter, a digit, an underscore, nor a hyphen.  When the text to the
right of ^TO_ or ^TO is an entire word from an address, the standard advice
is not to weaken the token by adding ".*", but when this happens, one has to
defy that truism:

  * ^TO_(_dot_)*[0-9](_at_)rodeios\(_dot_)com

so that the expression before the digit can match text that ends in a letter
of the alphabet.  One can make it tighter by using a regexp that will match
legal patterns for rodeios.com usernames instead of ".*", but there has to
be something between ^TO_ and the digit.