Re:About the signature(disclaimer)

2000-12-20 12:01:49
At 10:35 PM -0500 12/19/00, steven tam is rumored to have typed:

    Hi,   Can I use procmail such that every mail sending out  >from the
sendmail server will be added with a signature or disclaimer?  Thanks

   Think about this carefully...does procmail get invoked when mail goes OUT
OF your addresses, or when mail comes IN TO your addresses? If procmail is
not invoked when a client SENDS mail, but rather when an address RECEIVES
mail, how can it add anything to outbound email?

   And while we're on the subject, there are lots of other ways to append
those annoying disclamers - but I can guarantee you that many of us,
particularly those of us running mailing lists, will begin to automatically
reject your server's mail because we don't want you cluttering up our mailing
lists or mailboxes with those long-winded disclamers, and the clients have no
control over turning them off because some tech decided it would be a "way
cool" idea to add them.

   (Yeah, yeah, we know the material herein is intended only for the sole use
of the person to whom it was sent, and if we screwed up and sent it to the
wrong address, we'll sue your *ss if you so much as _read_ it before you
return it...and don't forget that we make no warranty expressed or implied as
to the accuracy of the material herein, because our employees adn clients are
apparently considered by management to be blithering idiots. Now we're going
to add a few line of astericks to make it look _really_ official, and give
the target server something to use to filter it to /dev/null with, assuming
they haven't already placed your IP block in sendmail's access.db with a big
ol' REJECT. Your mileage may vary. Close cover before striking.)

   Consider carefully whether you really want to do this at all.

         Charlie (who hates pretensions disclamers like this one...heck,
                   he filters out those free-mail signatures on all
                   the lists he controls - a 10k database of suspicious
                   lines and counting)