Thanks Philip and Timo!

2000-12-21 12:37:09
Philip and Timo,

Thanks for all of your help!

Here is what I cam up with (and it works!)

filename = $HOME/www/htdocs/cusd-today.txt

:0 bw : $filename.LOCKEXT

*^From:(_dot_)*(_at_)k12(_dot_)com*

*^Subject:.*k12 Daily News*

| perl -p -e 's/old-text/new-text/gi' | \

tee $filename | \

mail -s "CUSD - k12 Daily News"
distro-list(_at_)chandler(_dot_)k12(_dot_)az(_dot_)us -f
basilr(_at_)chandler(_dot_)k12(_dot_)az(_dot_)us

What I do with this is take a daily k12 newsletter, and then re-write part
of the message and then re-distribute it to our district via email. I also
save a copy of it on our webserver (and call it via an SSI page) for those
that do not have an email account.

Next projects for the code:

#1 Add a header to the outgoing message. I guess I would have to use formail
to do this, I don't think "mail" can do it? I have been looking for a good
formail primer but can't seem to find one The man pages are not helping me
very much, any hints?

#2 I also need to read up on my regexp's to help search and replace more of
the newsletter. I want to delete this out of the newsletter:

you are subscribed as basilr(_at_)chandler(_dot_)k12(_dot_)az(_dot_)us

The reason why I want to delete part of the newsletter is because I don't
want the people that I send the newsletter on-to to try and delete me from
the original newsletter list. You would be suprised what some of our
teachers try and do when they don't understand something. :)

I have tried:

But that does not seem to work.

Thanks again!

Robert Basil