Re: Can you make a global recipe to prevent mail loops?

2000-12-30 16:57:05
John Summerfield <summer(_at_)OS2(_dot_)ami(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> writes:
You can use pattern-matching to strip out addressing information (note that
TO: and CC: headers are not obligatory) and determine what the loop-detector
should be.

Bzzt.  If you want to know what user is receiving a message while
process the /etc/procmailrc file, just look in $LOGNAME.

        :0
        * $ ^X-Loop: *$LOGNAME(_at_)your-site$
        whatever...

"your-site" should be a regexp that matches the possible domain names
for your site.  For example, my previous employer had two domains,
"gac.edu" and "gustavus.edu", for which email addresses were the same.
If I was coding the above for there I would have written:

        :0
        * $ ^X-Loop: *$LOGNAME(_at_)g(ac|ustavus)\.edu$
        whatever...

At this point you're ready to pass the message on to your user's .procmailrc.
There are alternatives here:
1) Include the user's .procmailrc

Including the user's .procmailrc from the /etc/procmailrc file is
almost always the Wrong Thing.  Instead, just fall off the bottom of
the /etc/procmailrc file.  That way procmail will check the permission
on the rcfile before using it.

Philip Guenther