Re: Avoiding unnecessary call

2001-01-02 08:19:57
From: Rejo Zenger <subs(_at_)sisterray(_dot_)xs4all(_dot_)nl>

  :0
          * ^Subject: .*\/nl\.[^   ]+                                 #1
          { NG = $MATCH }

          # Is CFV for $NG running? If yes, save in it's directory.
          RUNNING=`grep -i ${NG}.*Running ${VOTEDIR}/stemmingen.txt`  #2
          :0A                                                         #3
          * RUNNING ?? $NG
          {
                  :0c:
                  $VOTEDIR/$NG/backup/votes

                  :0:
                  $VOTEDIR/$NG/votes
          }

      [other recipes here]
  }

I have this call (#2) to grep to find out if a $NG and 'running' can be
found in a specific file. if the recipe just before that call is not
matched (#1) the recipe at #3 will not be executed. However the call
will still be done - i understand this.

Is there a easy way to avoid that call if the recipe at #1 is not
matched? I can think of another nested recipe, but isn't there a more
easy way?

If I undertand you, then I think this will work:

   :0
           {
              NG = $MATCH

              :0
              |RUNNING=`grep -i ${NG}.*Running ${VOTEDIR}/stemmingen.txt` #2
           }

           # Is CFV for $NG running? If yes, save in it's directory.
           :0A                                                          #3
           * RUNNING ?? $NG
           {
                   [whatever]
                   $VOTEDIR/$NG/votes

Netcom has imploded.  Please now use NOTnetcom.com for mail.
Ex-Netcommies:  Mail "forwards" for free forwarding service!
NOT affiliated with EarthLink, Inc.'s Netcom brand identity.