Re: from addresses w/o real names

2001-01-08 01:46:12
I wrote:
I use several different email clients but mostly mailx on Solaris.
When I get mail from a user who does not use their real name in the
gecos field, I get garbage if it's from a list.

Philip replied:
Hmm, can you give an example?  Have you filed a bug report with Sun?
(What version of Solaris is this?)

Well, actually, what I meant by garbage (and I was wrong in using this term
in this way) is that when the angle-bracked/parenthesized name is missing,
mailx defaults to using the "^From " address which in many cases is
nearly garbarge.

Here's one from a list I'm on:
   From
sentto-1111929-3232-978899240-dave=geol(_dot_)ucsb(_dot_)edu(_at_)returns(_dot_)onelist(_dot_)com

I thought I was fairly advanced in regexp's until I joined this list
and so far it hasn't all rubbed off on me.
Anyway, may I ask, with David Tamkin's suggestion, should I now just
add a left paren like this?      |
      :0 fhw
      | formail -i"From: $MATCH <$MATCH>"

Just curious but why does procmail's -v option go to stderr?

Thanks for all the help.  It is already working just the way
I wanted it.

Dave Robbins