Re: Using .*

2001-01-19 17:01:43
At 22:50 2001-01-19 +0100, Jordi Garcia Busquets wrote:

:0
* ^Subject:EINF4.*

        That is, I want all the messages where the subject begins with
EINF4 and is followed by 0 or more characters. But it doesn't works!!

Chances are, there's one or more spaces or tabs BEFORE the subject string. If you examine other messages, or even the procmail manpages, you'll note that examples don't have the text slapped up to the header...

Addditionally, mentally evaluate the condition: if zero additional characters would match, then:

would match. Since it is a minimal match (an EOL marker isn't specified in the regexp, so it matches as soon as what is listed meets the criteria), then if you simply OMIT the trailing .* you'll match the same messages, but with less work.

The trailing .* has significance only if you're utilizing the $MATCH variable and it's associated construct.

BTW, BOTH copies of your query came through to the list.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395