Re: LOG & LOGABSTRACT question [Was Re: spawning an external app]

2001-02-18 12:58:42
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Dallman Ross wrote:

I've never tried this, but can you define on a per-recipe basis whether to
log not to log? as opposed to per xxxrc file?

Yes, and yes.
Can you cite a simple example of how this might best be accomplished?

As a followup question, does LOGABSTRACT give just a brief synopsis of the
arrival and handling of a message? and is LOGABSTRACT=on the default
behaviour if a logfile is named?

(That's two follow-up questions, not one.)  No, and no.
Er, yes actually that's true, oops that was a "stream of consciousness"
issue. Sorry! :-)
LOGABSTRACT set on allows you to shunt messages to the logfile
with the
      LOG="Your text goes here"
line.  Often people put a newline in the quotes or pre-define a
newline, e.g.,
NL="
"
and then use `$NL' in the log entry to make it nice and readable.

Again, (and I have *always* learned better if I saw an example of whatever
it was/is from this list) can you give an example of how this could be
done?

Regards,
-Colin