Re: Trouble splitting off one users mail from the rest

2001-03-12 06:36:30

:0:
* ^TO_gnunn(_at_)pncomputing\(_dot_)com
/var/spool/gnunn

My first question is "does procmail have permission to write
to /var/spool on your system?

#Lets all other mail in my mailbox
:0:
${DEFAULT}

There's really no need for that, since anything that hasn't been sorted
by the end of the .procmailrc will go to DEFAULT anyway

Also, small matter, but

:0:

really should be

:0w:

('w' should be used on any delivery recipe that isn't going
to /dev/null)

and the corresponding log is

procmail: Match on
"(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-
Resent)?)-To):
(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)gnunn(_at_)pncomputing\(_dot_)com"
procmail: Locking "/var/spool/gnunn.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/_O8F.8UGr6.slowey.pncom"
procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/gnunn.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/spool/gnunn"
procmail: Opening "/var/spool/gnunn"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/gnunn"
procmail: Locking "/var/spool/mail/pnunn.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/spool/mail/pnunn"
procmail: Opening "/var/spool/mail/pnunn"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Unlocking "/var/spool/mail/pnunn.lock"

It does look like it is having some errors writing to that directory.

Is /var/spool or /var/spool/mail the right folder?

:0
* ^TO_gnunn(_at_)pncomputing\(_dot_)com
! gnunn

Since the message to the list right after yours mentioned mail loops, I
thought it worth mentioning that you shouldn't ever forward a message
w/o an X-Loop:

:0fhw
* ^TO_gnunn(_at_)pncomputing\(_dot_)com
| formail -A"X-Loop: forwarding"

         :0a
         ! gnunn

(however, in this case I don't think that forwarding what you want to
do anyway)

So...  Long story, any idea how I make this work?

first guess is make sure procmail and sendmail are getting along wrt
permissions

Also, should I have the .procmailrc in my home dir or in the /etc
dir?  How does it work if I'm not logged in if its in mine only?

If you are the only one on, you can do /etc/procmailrc

You may want to start out with a

:0w:
backup

at the top until you get things sorted out ;-)

It will keep you (and him) from losing mail during the testing process.

TjL