Forcing valid date format in headers?

2001-03-21 05:38:06
Hi,

I get some email with unusual date formats, eg:

Date: Wed Mar 21 07:23:08 AST 2001

I'd like to set up a procmail recipe that spots this, and rewrites the Date field.

What approach would you recommend, so far I've thought of looking for the presence of three consecutive capitals in the Date: header, and then:-

i) Use formail to mend the header I

However, it's not clear from the man pages whether formail will fill in the time/date if asked to replace the Date: header in a message. It doesn't say it does, so I suspect it doesn't.

ii) Use formail to mend the header II

Assuming formail's adding of a Date: header does need the date/time as a parameter, is there an easy way to read the date from the system in the right format?

iii) Do fancy stuff with regexps

I'm not even sure this is possible with procmail's regexps, but I was thinking of matching on the AST, which I know to be -0400, and then re-ordering the time/date parameters into the standard layout of Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:36:48 -0400

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Alan