Re: No sorting

2001-03-28 12:44:23
At 06:08 2001-03-28 +0200, Martin Schweizer wrote:

I use a unix shell (sdf.lonestar.org, Linux 2.0.38, Procmail 3.13.1). I use
also Procmail at home without problems. But under the above Linux I can't use
Procmail. If I set a simple .procmailrc file it don't sort. If I add a

.forward file (both in my home directory) I only receive the not matched (in
.procmailrc) e-mails.

Are you actually FORWARDING to someplace else, or trying one of the various procmail exec invocations? i.e. how do you know that the .forward is even being invoked my the MTA-as-LDA ?

What is going wrong?

Perhaps they have procmail on the system, but their MTA doesn't use it as the LDA, and their MTA doesn't pay attention to .forward files? This scenario is quite possible if they've replaced the MTA with some nonstandard POS.

Shelling to port 25 on that host reveals the following greeting:

220 sdf.lonestar.org ESMTP COMSAT VERSION 36; Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:28:47 GMT

Which means they're NOT running sendmail. Doublecheck that the .forward is being used, and how. I believe the fhe .forward examples in the procmail help are sendmail specific (and those programs which properly mimic it), since .forward is processed by the MTA.

Solution: if .forward won't work for you, probably find a different ISP? Chances are, they're using this alternate MTA for a reason, and aren't wont to switch to sendmail for some reason they'll probably cling hard and fast to.