Postprocessing With Procmail in Cron Job

2001-03-29 09:45:20
I'm trying to set up a cron job to postprocess a mail file using
procmail.  Cron runs a script that contains:

        formail -s procmail -m $rcfile < $mailfile

The rc file contains:

###

MAILDIR=/home/tedd/rvlist

:0
*!^Date.*Sat, 24 Mar
/home/tedd/rvlist/rvlist.tmp

:0
/dev/null

###

The date recipe changes each time the script runs, which is the purpose
of the script.

When the job runs, or if I run the script manually, or even if I just
enter the above command from the command line, procmail returns:

        procmail: Suspicious rcfile "/home/tedd/rvlist/tmp.rc"
        procmail: Couldn't read "/home/tedd/rvlist/tmp.rc"

All the mail falls through into my /var/spool/mail file.  I'm not sure in
which order these two error messages arrive.  The rc file listed in the
messages is the correct rc file, but clearly procmail doesn't like it for
some reason.

Is it simply that I'm not setting all the necessary environment
variables?  If so, which ones are necessary?

Thanks,

Tedd McHenry