Re: Removing multiple space

2001-04-08 16:51:01
As I said (sed :-) earlier I find my tr based soultion to be
self-explanatory and self-documenting. I'd rather have tr cause a little
inefficiency than try to fathom the content of 29 (12+16+1) lines not

And, as I said, I saw nothing wrong with your solution.

I posted not only for you, but to increase the general information pool.

just blinded with science. Now it you can state that they are more
efficient than a one time call of tr maybe I'd have the incentive to
understand the mixture.

As I stated, I doubt mine is more efficient.  But perhaps someone
who is better in that area would care to comment.

For my own purposes, I was trying to capture subjects containing
"commands" (defined as such only by me and my .procmailrc).

But all I'm trying to do is clean the subject lines up before I mung list
tags. Anything else is over-kill for me. May show your prowess
withprocmail but doesn't help my learning processes.

I was merely providing explication for my choice of argument name.
I was, in fact, capturing the Subject line, which is what you wanted
also.  This was not a solution custom-designed for you.  It was
offered in general in case others were interested.

(I, too, was only trying to clean up subject-lines.  My command
parser doesn't understand "#STOP   AUTO-REPLIES"; but it does
understand "#STOP AUTO-REPLIES".)

BTW, you do not need to keep send me separate copies. It is considered
acceptable and to be a good netizen to allow someone to read it once
via the list.

Some want them, some don't.  Many who write the list are not subscribed
to the list, so not copying them would mean they don't get a copy.
While I know that you are subscribed, I offer the copies unless I hear
that the person doesn't want them, or unless I don't find what I'm
saying to be worth archiving (in which case, I ought to think twice
about sending it to the list anyway).  As for myself, I prefer to get
copies.  I read the procmail list on a UNIX box, but often read personal
mail on a Windows box, and keep all mail addressed to me personally on
that, in any case.  If I'm not copied on list mail meant for me, I have
to send it through formail to myself in order to keep a copy.

I use /usr/bin/Mail often to reply to list mail.  If I hit `R', my
reply would go only to you, but not to the list.  If I hit `r', my
reply goes to both.  If I want *only* to send to the list, I have to
run through the header output after typing `~h' at Mail.  Then, when
I get to the To: headers, if your name is before the list address, I
have to ^w at least twice to erase the whole line; and then I have to
CUT-AND-PASTE the procmail list address back in (or make an alias in
.mailrc, which I haven't done; or memorize the list address, which I
also haven't done in eight years, so that I can type it in by hand.)
Since, in my experience, perhaps half the people want a copy, and since
ones who vociferously don't, such as Sean Straw, say so explicitly
(and often munge their Reply-To: headers, as he does, to avoid getting
unintentional copies), I don't find myself concurring that it is bad
manners to supply a copy when in doubt.  I especially don't concur when
it is the case that one of the older UNIX mail programs has a default
functionality that makes it hard to send only to the list but not to the
sender.

Now that I know that is what you prefer, I will be more careful
with your mail.  But I assure you that you need not have taken
it as an ignorant or un-netizen-worthy act.

--
dman