Re: error while writing to head?

2001-04-17 08:15:46
Louis-David asked,

| I have a strange error:
|
|       procmail: Executing "head,-87"
|       procmail: Error while writing to "head"
|       procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded

Head, by its purpose, doesn't read in the entire input but rather exits once
it has found the required number of lines.  Since procmail can't write the
entire text to head, procmail finds a write error.

Solutions:

1. Use the `i' flag on the recipe to tell procmail to forgive write errors.
or
2. Take the `w' flag off the recipe to tell procmail not to recover the old
   text.

In case head exits with a different kind of error, I'd recommend #1.