Re: Implementing PGP on an archive

2001-05-08 22:55:25
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:04:06PM -0500, Matthew G. Saroff wrote:

I'm in the process of implementing a mailing list, I want to
keep private archives for my personal use.

I think that it might attract hackers, so I'd like to be able
to encrypt the messages as they go into the archive using PGP
or some other similar program.

If you archive the messages on a secure machine with proper permissions,
the hackers have to break into your machine to get the mails. If this
happens, the hackers gain access to everything on your machine, including
your passwords, private files etc. If the mailing list is *that* confidental
that you can't even trust your own system to store it, perhaps it's worth
thinking over if the messages of the mailing list should be transported
without encryption (plaintext via smtp/pop3) over the net.

Anyway,

If they can get to the archives, they can get to my .procmailrc
file, so how can I implement this in a secure manner?

You have to encrypt the messages using your public key. In this case,
only your public key resides on the machine that may be attacked by
hackers, so if they can get in, they can't decrypt the archives, as
would need your secret key as well.

Do it somehow like this:

  :0c
  * From:(_dot_)*the(_at_)mailing\(_dot_)list
  | gpg -ea -r your_key_id >> archives/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d').gpg.asc

(Or use formail and procmail's $MATCH feature to add headers to the
encrypted message and store them in a standard unix mailbox or
whatever.)

--
BALI, Andra's     drewie(_at_)bigfoot(_dot_)com
bali(_at_)debian(_dot_)org  78560E1C