Re: Double delivery of messages

2001-05-09 11:50:43
No, this isn't just dupes to postings.   It applies to general email as well.

I'm not sure if it's a procmail issue at all, actually. It migth be uw-imap for all I know.

But intermittently, I get double messages. When I delete one, they both disappear.

_F

At 09:22 PM 5/7/2001 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 10:25:10AM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I'm trying to track down why, and irregularly, I sometimes get messages
> delivered twice.
>

> My .procmailrc starts out with:
>
> PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      # You'd better make sure it exists
> # DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/Inbox
>                          # We don't use a global lockfile here now.
>                          # Instead we use local lockfiles everywhere.
>                          # This allows mail to arrive in all mailboxes
>                          # concurrently, or allows you to read one mailbox
>                          # while mail arrives in another.
>
> # LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/From.log     # Put it here, in order to avoid logging
>                                  # the arrival of the digest.
>
> # System Logs
> :0
> * ^Subject:.*(system.*check|security.*check|run.*output)
> SystemLogs
>

> Then, I change the directory with:
>
> #
> # Change MAILDIR to the "Lists" subdirectory
> #
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail/Lists
>
> # Postfix-Users List
> :0:
> *
^(From|Cc|To|Sender|Delivered-To)(_dot_)*postfix-users(_at_)postfix(_dot_)org
> Postfix
>
> The rest is just normal stuff. The messages that get delivered double-time
> are ones destined to me, in my regular mailbox.   Again, it doesn't always
> happen.

I'm by no means an expert. But if someone sends a message to the Postfix
list, their list software will route a copy to you. In some cases, the
person sending the message will also CC you or send the message directly
to you, in which case both messages will arrive at your location,
possibly together. Thus you would get two messages. And sometimes people
even send two of the same message to the same addresses for some reason.

You may already have done this, but I'd check the headers on duplicate
messages carefully to find out more about what the differences are
between them. That could give you a clue.

In either case, there are recipes for killing the dupes.

HTH,

Paul