Re: diskquota auto-responder?

2001-05-13 11:57:59
Why don't you just run a cron job that mails them?

I've done this for a number of years but it doesn't really work
satisfactorily.  If I check every quota on the system and
email those who are nearing or exceeded their diskquota,
my users generally can't read the cron-generated mail since
most read their mail with a POP client that downloads their mail
to an Appleshare-mounted home directory on my server.
Of course, you ask, how would it be any different if they
tried to email themselves with the diskquota?
The cron-generated mail is generally not up-to-date and
can't notify someone the moment they have exceeded quota.

Since we do have webmail, they could generate the mail with
with the IMAP client and immediately receive a response.
It's just a way to empower users.  If they're incapable of
using webmail, they're incapable of about anything.

Dave