Re: auto-reply not auto-replying

| Any ideas why this code fragment sends all messages to the bit bucket
| instead of auto-replying?
|
| | (formail -brtD 128 /tmp/everybody.cache -A"X-Loop: EveryBodyTrap" ;\
| echo "Your message to the mailing list was rejected." ;\
| echo "You are NOT authorized to send to this list." ;\
| ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

formail -D does not produce any standard output unless it is used while
splitting (that is, in conjunction with formail's -s option).

This might work (untested, so emphasis is on "might"):

 | (formail -brtD 128 /tmp/everybody.cache -A"X-Loop: EveryBodyTrap" -s ;\
 echo "Your message to the mailing list was rejected." ;\
 echo "You are NOT authorized to send to this list." ;\
 ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

but if the address *is* a duplicate, you're still feeding the body text to
$SENDMAIL as its only input.  Better, I should think,

 :0 flags
 * conditions you already have, including, I trust,
 * ! ^X-Loop: EveryBodyTrap
 * ! ? formail -rD 128 /tmp/everybody.cache
 | (formail -rt -A"X-Loop: EveryBodyTrap" ;\
    echo "Your message to the mailing list was rejected." ;\
    echo "You are NOT authorized to send to this list." ;\
    ) | $SENDMAIL -t

Notes:

1. Since you know that the body will not have any lone periods, -oi is
   unnecessary.

2. If -r, -x, or -X is present, formail will drop the body, so -b does
   nothing, unless -k is also present to make formail keep the body.  If -k
   preserves the body despite -r, -x, or -X, then -b will prevent the column
   of citation characters.