Re: Simple Recipe

2001-06-12 03:45:30
From: Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu>

The "[         ]" right before the \/ token is actually unnecessary--the ".*"
is sufficient given what's after the \/ token--but it makes the intent
clearer (and it should be ever so slightly faster, I think).

Thank you.  I have been wondering this for almost two years.  I never could
understand why the expression right before the `\/' was ever being
used.  To my mind it made things muddier, not simpler: the steps taken
on the right to overcome explicitly the "left-handed greediness" that
is default behavior seemed to me to be clear and quite enough.  But
now I (think I) understand that the extra expression has been used as
a form of "coder's documentation."

--
Netcom has imploded.  Please now use NOTnetcom.com for mail.
Ex-Netcommies:  Mail "forwards" for free forwarding service!