Over zealous subject filter

2001-06-23 14:56:26
Hello.  I've been having problems with various procmail filters I use to
sort incoming mail.  The filters work 95% of the time, but then they'll
skip messages (which means they go to my default mailbox), even when said
messages have seemingly identical headers to the ones the filters catch
correctly.  But that's a problem for another post...

Currently the issue is a filter that catches too much.  I get a series of
regular emails from a domain called workz.com.  They changed their headers
recently and my filters stopped working so I decided to filter for the word
"workz" in the subject header.  This catches 100% of the workz.com emails
with that phrase in the subject.

Unfortunately, this filter is also catching things it shouldn't.  Namely,
every single instance of the word "work" in a subject.  For the mailing
list with "[Homestead-Work]" in every subject, I solved this by putting a
filter for that before the workz filter.  But I can't predict all instances
and it's really becoming a pain.  Any subject with "network" or "work" or
"works" etc is ending up in the file designed for "workz."

Of course I can simply remove this filter (and I likely will).  But I would
really like to know what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it, and improve my
procmail skills for the future.  Any insights would be appreciated.

The filter I'm using reads as follows:

:0:
* ^SUBJECT(.*"Small Business Tip of the Day"*|\
        .*"Ask A Lawyer"*|\
        .*lawyer*|\
        .*"Business Tip"*|\
        .*workz*|\
        .*"Small Business Tip"*)
$HOME/Mail/posts/business

(Note the quoted weirdness...I haven't figured out how to do that correctly
either and would appreciate hints.  The duplication is out of desperation
as the filter kept failing; this particular set of emails comes from a
mailing list that changes the other parts of the header with every post.)

I've read all the man pages for procmail, including the recipe examples,
and haven't had much luck.  Certainly, I haven't come across anything
suggesting that "z" is a wildcard!

Thanks!
Cyndi