A little recipe question (KILL THE SPAM)

2001-06-24 23:17:21
Hey all.  I've been looking at some of the SPAM (pardon the dirty
language :) I have been getting lately, and I noticed that much of it
looks like <something>@<yahoo.com, hotmail.com, aol.com, msn.com,
excite.com, take your pick>

Well, I would just put these domains into my killfile, but I do have
friends with addresses at some of them, so that would be overkill.

I also noticed, however, that some of it has a username that starts
with a digit.  I don't think I know anyone who would use that kind of
username, so I would like to set up a recipe to catch these bozos
before I have to waste my time with them.

I am a little familiar with the vim and grep regexps, but not so much
the procmail stuff, which is why I am asking for your help before I
start tossing my real mail out.  Here is where I started:

:0
* From: [^0-9]*$
{
  EXTENSION=spam
}

This would go in my ~/.procmailrc, and the EXTENSION variable is set
to the folder name.  Later I check this and decide what to add to the
killfile.  If something matches in the killfile, I just have procmail
put it in the trash folder, which I check periodically to empty and
see the success of my .procmailrc recipes.

Maybe overly simple, but the idea is to catch any mail with a From
header that looks like this:  5A1j0m9(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com which I see more
often these days.

Anyone see why this would catch ANYTHING that starts with something
other than a number?

Thanks
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc
leblanc(_at_)acadia(_dot_)ne(_dot_)mediaone(_dot_)net