Re: maintaining a list that procmail can check

2001-07-06 21:00:16
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, David W. Tamkin wrote:

OK, folks, please bear with me.  I'm trying to figure something out, so this
is a bit on the stream-of-consciousness side.

I'm thinking of a setup where procmail could check a list of filenames to see
whether the one extracted from or set for a given message is on the list or
not.  Procmail would also need to add filenames to the list or remove them
from it upon receiving passworded instructions emailed from one of my other
addresses.

So I'm looking for the setup with the most net efficiency for procmail to

(1) check whether a name is listed
(2) add a name to the list
and
(3) remove a name from the list

I have a simpler suggestion than some others have offered.  Create a
filter that will do the testing for a file's existance; and add some flag
to the message.  Then write a shell script that will create the filter
every time you change the list of files.

Then write your filters for adding/deleting a file; and then one that will
run the shell script if the files change.  Which filters that were used
would be dependant on the flag you set.

Low impact on the server; and the only calls to the shell will occur if
you add or remove a file.

--
New York's got the ways and means;
Just won't let you be.