Re: procmail not found

2001-07-15 19:42:05

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Robert Hough wrote:

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001, Kayven Riese wrote:

% whereis procmail
procmail:

That doesn't look good to me. Though, it's possible that procmail just
isn't in your path. Try this instead:

At your "%" prompt:
set path = (/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin)
set path = ($path /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin $HOME/bin)

Pine finished -- Closed "INBOX". Kept 39 messages and deleted 2.
% set path = (/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin)
set path = ($path /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin $HOME/bin)

  % % %
pwdet path
set: Syntax error.
% pwd
/u7/users/k/kayve
% set path = /bin
% pwd
/u7/users/k/kayve
%          >

oops.. shheeet.. i didn't copy it but pine was not found after that..

i will try agin..

Type "exit" to menus
% set path = (/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin)
% whereis procmail
procmail:
% pine
pine: Command not found.
%

maybe i am a little confused about yer command(s??)..
is it one command or two?..

i should prolly try installing procmail at $HOME.. but
now i haven't been able tofind the *#(_at_)# directions fer
installation.. i got a *.gz.zip wassit file er something
er other i downloaded fer it.

Type "exit" to menus
% stty erase
% set path = ($path /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin $HOME/bin)
% whereis procmail
procmail:
%

  interestingly, this time pine WAS found..

I put it on two lines so you could easily read it, and cut & paste it if
need be. After you have done the above, try the "whereis procmail"
command again.

% procmail-l
procmail-l: Command not found.
%prcmail -l
prcmail: Command not found.

I meant, email the procmail mailing list. Also known as procmail-l... :)

umm.. woops.. i should do that now 2?  {:}

the director /bin/sh exists.. but it doesn't look like there is
anything in it.. is there a whichshell command? i will see if i
can find that.. here is some stuf i did:

To use /bin/sh - you execute it like so:
% exec /bin/sh

the thing that confuses me about this is.. what do i do then?
vi the .forward file and the .procmailrc file?  i mean this stuf
does its job whether i am online er not.. NO??

% exec /bin/sh
$ whereis procmail
procmail:
$

agin.. pine WAS found.

/bin/sccs          /bin/sh            /bin/spellin       /bin/su

/bin/sh is not a directory by the way. I'm not sure if this will work
under AIX or not, but try using 'ls -F' instead.

Pine finished -- Closed folder "INBOX". Kept all 39 messages.
% ls -F
4-28-01.WPD              dead.letter              prcmrc
Lectures2.cbv            expts.doc                proc.txt
Mail/                    findp.txt                proc_old/
Msgs/                    forfreek                 procmail-3.15.1.tar.gz
News/                    forward.txt              procmail-3.21.tar.gz
PROJECT.SAS              in-testing               procmail.txt
PROJECT.log              int_game/                public_html/
PROJECT.lst              jeff.htm                 sas_class/
Procmail/                lists.rc.davebb          sas_disk.zip
bin/                     mail/                    sub.png
bounce.txt               mail_test/               the.procmailrc
chicago2045.ZIP          mbox*                    xit
core                     porc.txt
%

Under most UNIX boxes,
it will display like so:

[rch(_at_)tsunami rch]$ ls -F
Mail/           config.pl*      tmp/            twm/
Procmail/       scratch.pl*     tsunami/

Names that appear like so 'Mail/' represent directories. Names with a
'*' at the end represent files that are executable. Names that have
nothing at the end of them are just plain files. Stuff with '@'
represent linked files. So on, etc. You can read more about the 'ls'
command on IBM's site which contains the 'man' pages you seem to be
missing:

http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixgen/topnav/topnav.htm
oooooo...TAAAAYYY!!.. plastad dat up on mah web page:
http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~kayve

onna link called 'man' (just an aside)
thank yee kindly, sir.  }:D

the command 'sh' to 'launch the bourne shell' and i got the
$ prompt instead of the % prompt.. is this relevant to anything?

The various prompts are just a way to let you know what shell you are
using. "$" is a non-priviledged shell in 'sh' and 'bash' while "#"
represents a privileged shell in both 'sh' and 'bash'.

umm yeah.. that's what i thought.. never got a # prompt poysonally..
seen $ and % B-4 and stuf like "hsc.usc.edu:>" er somethin' though.

The 'csh' is a fine shell indeed, but I'm personally of the opinion that
all users should learn the 'Bourne Shell - sh' first. This is a default
shell on *every* version of UNIX that I have ever used. If you know
'sh', then in effect, you should be able to navigate any version of UNIX
you ever get stuck on.

umm.. i wasn't sure which one i started with.. but i switched to sh
i think... that one command gave me MANY options.

oops.. what shell is the % shell?

The '%' prompt generally denotes 'csh'. You should be able to discover
what shell you are using by typing 'echo $SHELL' at the prompt, or
'echo $shell'. You might have to try both ways, depending on the shell
you using.

$ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
$

but the problem with this is that i aready followed yer 'structions
and switched to $.. so i am not sure what the default is right now.

--
Robert Hough (rch(_at_)solveinteractive(_dot_)com)